VAT (Value Added Tax) or in French TVA (Taxe Sur La Valeur Ajoutée) is a tax added onto all of your retail shopping items in France. However you can get this VAT back, granted you are not a resident of France! It is called 'detaxe' or a tex refund, and this article tells you everything you need to know about if you're eligible for a tax refund and where to do it.
WANT MORE FREE PRACTICAL PARIS TIPS?
VAT REFUND IN PARIS
Anyone over 15 years old and a resident of a country outside of the European Union is eligible for a VAT refund on any non-commercial purchases. You also must spend more than 175€ in a single store in one day to be able to claim that amount of tax (located on your receipt) back. Your receipt can be made up of many different items and products, as long as they are all retail purchases and from the same day and store.
STEPS TO TAX REFUND IN PARIS
1. While still at the store making your purchases that sum up to over 175€, ask for a Detaxe form. Keep both your receipt and this form!
2. Fill out the Detaxe form before going to the airport to go back home.
3. Find a Detaxe location and scan your form. At Travelex counters you will do it with a agent and at PABLO machines you do it yourself.
4. For an instant cash refund, line up to be assessed by an officer and then receive your payment. You must have your passport, boarding ticket and your goods purchased with you in order for this step to happen.
5. You can also send your tax refund form and receive your money at a later time. Just be sure to have it stamped, scanned and find a mailbox in the airport terminals to send it home. If you choose this option, wait for your payment!
TAX REUND PARIS AIRPORT/ TAX REFUND AT CDG
TAX REFUND AT CDG
Tax refund machines at CDG airport are located at the following places:
Terminal 1: same level as the CDGVAL, hall 6
Terminal 2A: Departures level, gate 5
Terminal 2C: Departures level, gate 4
Terminal 2E: Departures level, gate 8
Terminal 2F: Arrivals level
Terminal 3: Departures level, airside
TAX REFUND AT ORLY AIRPORT
At Orly airport, the machines are located at the following places:
West Terminal: Arrivals level, gate E
South Terminal : Departures level, gate G
TAX REFUND PARIS ADDITIONAL TIPS
Fill out the Detaxe form before going to the airport.
Be sure your purchased goods are at the very top of your suitcase so you can show the officers very easily.
Places such as Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, and other large shopping malls, often have tax refund places within the store so you do not need to wait in the hectic lines at the airport. You can receive automatic cash there. To read more about where to shop in Paris, checkout our informative article: Where to shop in Paris.
Travelex counters are much slower, do it quicker and yourself at the PABLO machines.
DISCOVER INSIDR SMARTPHONE - THE ULTIMATE COMPANION FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS!
With UNLIMITED CONNECTIVITY (Unlimited local calls & texts/4G unlimited data in France and 42 European countries/WIFI Hotspot to reconnect all your other devices (laptop/ipad/iphone/etc.)
100% AUTHENTIC & NON COMMERCIAL DIGITAL GUIDE
-INSIDR Map of Paris (700+ non-touristy recommendations of where to go to live like a local in Paris)
-INSIDR Community (possibility to ask questions in real-time to our friendly local community)
-INSIDR Walks in Paris and INSIDR Road Trips all over France